Legends of Diving Articles
Glen H. Egstrom,
Ph.D B.S. UND 1950
responsibilities at UCLA and during Diving Medical courses in the past
50 years have included courses and graduate seminars in applied anatomy,
exercise physiology, underwater physiology, environmental physiology,
aquatic kinesiology, biomechanical analysis and conditioning for optimal
performances. As campus Diving Officer between 1964 and 1992 he also
operated a major recreational and scientific scuba diving training
program at UCLA and is currently a member of the UCLA Diving Control
Board. As Director of the Underwater Kinesiology Laboratory he continues
as the Principal Investigator for the Diving Safety Research Project and
other aquatic safety studies.
Undersea & Hyperbaric Medical Society, Member since 1970. Secretary
1976, Executive Board 1974 1980. Diving Safety Lecture Panel since 1980.
ad.hoc. Diving Safety Committee 1989 1997.
American College of Sports Medicine, Fellow since 1962, Emeritus 2003.
Human Factors Society, Member 1985 to lifetime
South Pacific Underwater Medicine Society, Member 1980 to 1996.
National Association of Underwater Instructors, President 1970 1975,
Chairman of Advisory Board 1975 1982, Member Advisory Board 1975 1995,
Instructor Trainer 1966 date, Member 1966 to lifetime.
Los Angeles County Underwater Instructors Association, President 1967
1970, Member 1964 1976. Inactive Member 1977 to date. Board of Directors
Marine Technology Society, Member 1970 1984.
American Alliance for Health, Physical Education and Recreation 1949 -
2002. Aquatics Council, Safety Education Division.
California Academy of Underwater Sciences, Executive Committee 1980
1986. Member 1980 1990.
American Academy of Underwater Sciences, Executive Committee 1980 1990,
President 1989. Member 1980 lifetime.
Council for National Cooperation in Aquatics, Member 1981 to 1996.
Appointed National Advisory Committee on Aquatic Safety, 1986 to 1996.
Board of Directors and Board of Governors 1994- 1996.
Historical Diving Society USA, member 1996 to date
Conrad Limbaugh Award, Los Angeles County Underwater Association, 1966.
The Underwater Society of America NOGI Award for Distinguished Service
in 1969 and Science in 1982.
The Los Angeles County Underwater Safety Award in 1974.
Selected as the Our World Underwater Man of The Year 1974.
NAUI Outstanding Contribution to Diving Award, 1978.
NAUI Leonard Greenstone Diving Safety Award, 1976.
Los Angeles County Distinguished Service Award, 1980.
NAUI Distinguished Service Award, 1981 and 1982.Inducted into NAUI Hall
of Fame, 1984.
Oceaneering Intl. Award Undersea Medical Society, 1985.
Diving Equipment Manufacturers Assn. Reaching Out Award for Diving
Safety Education, 1988. Inducted into DEMA Hall of Fame.
Los Angeles County Underwater Instructors Association Founders Award,
Channel Islands Council of Divers First Annual Education and Diving
Safety Award, 1993.
DAN Rolex Diver of the Year 1994
Council for National Cooperation in Aquatics, National Honor Award 1994
Undersea and Hyperbaric Medical Society, Craig Hoffman Memorial Award,
NAUI Hall of Honor " inaugural inductee 2000
Southern California Pool Operators Association Award
American Academy of Underwater Sciences Service award 2001
Los Angeles County Underwater Instructors Association Outstanding
NAUI Lifetime Achievement Award 2002
American Academy of Underwater Sciences Conrad Limbaugh Memorial Award
for Leadership in Scientific Diving 2003
U.S. Army Honorable Discharge 26 July 1965, rank of Major, Artillery.
Active duty 5/51 " 10/53. Korean Veteran
Course Director or Training Director for 36 underwater instructor
courses and special courses on recent development in equipment for
Over 1000 public lectures since 1955.
Research Scientist with Naval Medical Research Institute 1975 to Oct.
1988. Environmental Stress Program.
Served on staff of 52 diving and aquatic medicine courses for
physicians, worldwide. Continuing Medical Education for physicians.
Medical Seminars, Inc., South Pacific Underwater Medicine Society,
Undersea Medical Society, Duke University, Divers Alert Network, Temple
University, University of California, San Francisco, International
Society of Aquatic Medicine & others
Los Angeles County Sheriff Reserve, Captain, Marine Company 218, Los
Angeles Aquatic Search and Rescue. 1970 -
retired 12/98. Appointed as the LACO Sheriff's Department Diving Safety
Officer 12/98 to 4/1/04.
Los Angeles County Beach Advisory Board, 1972-75, Vice Chairman 1975
Member National SCUBA Advisory Committee 1976 1982.
Member Executive Committee California Advisory Group On Scientific and
Technical Diving 1977 to 1980.
Member State of California Metric Conversion Council 1978 1983.
Board of Directors Our World Underwater Scholarship Society 1972 to
date. Chairman of the Board 1983 1987, 1999 " 2000, 2004 " 2005, 2006
Water Safety Instructor and/or Instructor Trainer in Life Saving and
First Aid 1946 1976. Active lecturer to public safety groups 1960 to
National Swimming Pool Safety Committee, 1987 to 1997. Research
Committee Chair 1987 1991, Steering Committee 1988 to 1992.
National Association for Search and Rescue, 1988 to 1995. Diving and
Water Rescue Committee Diving Safety Advisor.
California Public Safety Divers Association 1989 1993.
Outdoor Recreation Coalition of America, SCUBA Diving Resource Group
Board of Advisors NAUI Canada 1980 1994
International Association of Dive Rescue Specialists 1994 to2000.
Divers Alert Network (DAN) Board of Directors 1994 to 1998.
National Science Foundation, Division of Polar Programs. Appointed
member of the Diving Control Board, 1993 - 2004.
Principal Investigator in a 6 year study for the Office of Naval
Research, involving underwater work tolerance. These studies follow the
development of underater work measement techniques over a period of
several years. Work on the quantification of diver stress and related
decrements has been the primary objective.
Principal Investigator on a NOAA Sea Grant to inventory the underwater
recreational resources of the Los Angeles County coastline. This
underwater work project involved over 2000 hours of diving each year by
the diving team. During this work he also served as a member of the Los
Angeles County Beach Advisory Board.
Principal Investigator for the UCLA Diving Safety Research Project since
1973 for the evaluation of diving equipment, emergency procedures and
training methods. This continuing project also includes studies of
recreational aquatic safety.
Director of the Underwater Kinesiology Laboratory at UCLA 1965 to 2000.
Aquatic Kinesiology studies on lift and drag characteristics, water
entry procedures, stroke mechanics, fluid balance in swimmers and
ergometry are currently active.
Principal Investigator Study Awards, National Swimming Pool Foundation.
"Alcohol and Diving Performance", "A Review of the Literature on the
Effects of Alcohol as they relate to Aquatic Skills such as Diving
Headfirst into Shallow Water." and "Effects of Lift and Drag Components
on Diving in Shallow Water."
Consulted at various times with the following groups on diving equipment
evaluation during the period 1966 to date: Dacor Inc, Scubapro Inc., US
Divers,Inc., Farallon Industries, Healthways Inc., Litton Industries,
Hyco International, U.S. Navy, NOAA Manned Undersea Science and
Technology Office, Los Angeles County Medical Examiner, TEKNA and S TRON
Inc. & others.
Underwater Weightless Simulations Douglas Aircraft, 1966 1967.
Ergometry in Weightless Conditions Space Labs, Inc. 1967.
Underwater Physiologic Monitoring Webb Associates, 1967.
High Altitude Decompression Tables U.S. Divers Corp., 1971.
Experimental Program Eniwetok Atoll U.S. Naval Ordinance Center, 1968.
Purification Systems for Compressed Air Blair Martin Co. 1968.
Chairman of Safety Committee Commercial Diving Center, 1973.
Commercial Diving Center\College of Oceaneering diving fitness,
physiology,environmental effects 1970 1989.
Manned Underwater Activities National Academy of Sciences and National
Academy of Engineers, 1972.
Marine Advisory Board Orange Coast College Marine Technician Program,
Work Tolerance, Equipment Evaluation, Underwater Work Measurement "
Office of Naval Research, 1969 1974.
Underwater Work Performance Underwater Construction Project.SeaLab III
Office of Naval Research, 1968.
Underwater Work Performance Makai Range, U.S. Navy, 1970 and 1971
Research and Development Programs U.S. Naval Undersea Warfare Programs
Kaniohe Bay, Hawaii, 1970.
Commercial Diving Training Program California Institute for Men, Chino,
Appointment to U.S. Japan Joint Diving Physiology and Technology Panel,
U.S. Department of Commerce NOAA, 1972 1983.
NOAA Civilian Diving Manual, contributor 1977, 1979, 1992, and
Performance Research, Failure Analysis Associates, 1975 85.
Comparison of U.S. Navy MK V MK XII Diving Systems NMRI Behavioral
Sciences Lab, 1973 1975 Laboratory and Field Tests.
Chairman Cognitive and Psychomotor Performance Section for National Plan
for Health & Safety of Divers, 1976.
Mark XII Diving System, Experimental Diving Unit, 1975 1976.
Development of Standardized Assessment of Underwater Performance
Workshop 1 (1975) & II (1976) U.S.Navy Sponsor
Association of Scientific Advisors, Aquatics, 1977 1998.
Los Angeles County Interagency SCUBA committee review panel for diving
accidents 1975 date. (Sheriff\Medical Examiner\Lifeguards & others)
Medical Seminars Inc. Faculty member for courses on continuing medical
education in the area of aquatic safety and diving. 1978 " 2002
NASA member of a four member consulting team at Johnson Space Flight
Center, 1987, Underwater simulation facility and the issue of
Nihon Kenko Zoushin Kenkyukai Corp. Honorary International Vice Chairman
of the Board. 1993-1999. Health and Fitness consultant.
Life Sciences Research Corp. Honorary International Chairman of the
Consulting Services have been provided to legal firms and
representatives on case by case basis since 1956.
1. Egstrom, Glen H.,"The Function of Balance Mechanisms in Directional
Movements", U.C.L.A. Masters Thesis. 1956.
2. Logan, G.,Dunkelberg, J.,Gardner, G. and Egstrom, G.,"Student
Handbook for Adapted Physical Education", Adadon Press, 1956 and Wm. C.
Brown Pub. Co. 1960.
3. Egstrom, G. "The Effects of Conceptualizing Techniques During Early
Learning of a Gross Motor Skill". U.S.C. Ph.D. Dissertation. August,
4. Egstrom, G., Logan, G. and Wallis, E. "Acquisition of Throwing Skill
Involving Projectiles of Varying Weight", Research Quarterly, October,
5. Logan G. and Egstrom, G. "Effects of Slow and Fast Stretching on the
Sacro femoral Angle", Journal Assoc. Physical and Mental Rehabilitation,
May June, 1961.
6. Egstrom, G.H. "Skin Diving", Chapter in A Manual of Physical
Education Activities, W.B. Saunders Company, June, 1961.
7. Egstrom, G.H. "Effects of an Emphasis on Conceptualizing Techniques
During Early Learning of a Gross Motor Skill", Research Quarterly,
8. Weltman, G., Christianson, R. and Egstrom, G. "A Diver Restraint
Device For Underwater Experimentation", Report 65 5. UCLA Dept. of
Engineering. February, 1965.
9. Fowler, W., Gardner, G. and Egstrom, G. "Effects of an Anabolic
Steroid on Physical Performance of Young Men", Journal of Applied
Physiology, Volume 20, #5, Oct. 1965.
10. Fowler, W., Pearson, C., Egstrom, G. and Gardner, G. "Ineffective
Treatment of Muscular Dystrophy With An Anabolic Steroid and Other
Measures", New England Journal of Medicine, April, 1965.
11. Weltman, G., Christianson, R. and Egstrom, G. "Visual Fields of the
Scuba Diver", Human Factors, Vol. 7, #5, October, 1965.
12. Keogh, J., Egstrom, G. and Gardner, G. "Physical Performance of
Peace Corps Trainees", Research Quarterly, October, 1965.
13. Gardner, G., Egstrom, G., Elsner, R. and Keogh, J. "Physical Working
Capacity of Primitive People", Proceedings of the XXIII International
Congress of Physiological Sciences, Tokyo, 1965.
14. Christianson, R., Weltman, G. and Egstrom, G. "Thrust Forces In
Underwater Swimming", Human Factors, December, 1965.
15. Yanda, R. and Egstrom, G. "Carbon Dioxide Excretion Through The Skin
At 4 ATA", Third International Conference On Hyper baric Medicine
Proceedings, National Academy of Sciences, 1966.
16. Egstrom, G. and Schaafsma, F. Volleyball. Wm.C. Brown Co., 1st
17. Egstrom, G., Weisman, S.J. and Weisman, S.A. "Chest Contour
(Structure) and Cardiovascular Work", Diseases Of The Chest, Volume 50,
#6, December, 1966.
18. Weltman, G. and Egstrom, G. "Perceptual Narrowing in Divers: A
Preliminary Study", UCLA Dept. of Engineering Report #66 67. December,
19. Weltman, G. and Egstrom, G. "Perceptual Narrowing in Novice Divers",
Human Factors, December, 1966.
20. Egstrom, G."Fitness For Scuba Divers", Underwater Instructors
Manual, Los Angeles County, January,1967.
21. Weltman, G. and Egstrom, G. "Measuring Work Effectiveness
Underwater", Proceedings of the Marine Technology Society, December,
22. Egstrom, G. "Why Professional Instruction", Skin Diver Magazine,
23. Egstrom, G. and Weltman G. "Assessing Work Performance Underwater",
Marine Sciences Instrumentation, Volume 4, Plenum Press, January, 1968.
24. Weltman, G., Egstrom, G., Elliot R. and Stevenson, S. "Underwater
Work Measurement Techniques: Initial Studies". UCLA Engineering Report
#68 11. March 1968. NTIS AD 668 180.
25. Weltman, G. and Egstrom, G. "Underwater Heart Rate Telemetry Using
an Ultrasonic Voice Communication Device", Aerospace Medicine, December,
26. Gardner, G., Egstrom, G. and Wilbert, J. "Physical Working Capacity
of the Warao Indians of Venezuela", Separata de Antropologica, June,
27. Latchaw, M. and Egstrom, G. Human Movement, Prentice Hall, Inc.
28. Weltman, G., Crooks, T.and Egstrom, G. "Diver Performance
Measurement for Sealab III", Underwater Association Report, London 1969.
29. Weltman, G. and Egstrom, G. "Heart Rate and Respiratory Response
Correlations in Surface and Underwater Work", Aerospace Medicine, Volume
40, #5, May, 1969.
30. Weltman, G. and Egstrom, G. "Personal Autonomy of Scuba Divers",
Research Quarterly, October, 1969.
31. Weltman, G., Egstrom, G., Christianson, R. and Crooks, T.
"Underwater Work Measurement Techniques 1969 Study", UCLA Engineering
Dept. Report #7052, July 1970. NTIS AD 710 348.
32. Weltman, G., Christianson, R. and Egstrom, G. "Effects of
Environment and Experience on Underwater Work Performance", Human
Factors, December, 1970.
33. Egstrom, G. and Weltman, G. "Diver Performance Capability in Salvage
Type Work Tasks", Marine Technology, Volume 1, 1970.
34. Egstrom, G. "Effects of Diving Equipment on Diving Performance",
Proceedings of Symposium on Underwater Physiology, April 1970.
35. Weltman, G., Egstrom, G., Willis, M. and Cuccaro, W. "Underwater
Work Measurement Techniques: Final Report". UCLA Engineering Report
#7140, July, 1971. NTIS AD 734 014.
36. Egstrom, G. and Bachrach, A. "Diver Panic", Skin Diver Magazine,
37. Weltman, G., Smith, J. and Egstrom, G. "Perceptual Narrowing During
Simulated Pressure Chamber Exposure", Human Factors, April, 1971.
38. Egstrom, G. and Shaafsma, F. Volleyball, Wm. C. Brown Pub., Second
39. Egstrom, G. and Weltman, G. "A Study of Diver Performance in
Underwater Construction Tasks". Engineering Psychology Program, Office
of Naval Research. March, 1972.
40. Egstrom, G., Weltman, G., Baddely, A., Cuccaro, W. and Willis, M.
"Underwater Work Performance and Work Tolerance". UCLA Engineering
Report #7243, July, 1972. NTIS AD 747 701.
41. Egstrom, G., Weltman, G., Cuccaro, W. and Willis, M. "Underwater
Work Performance and Work Tolerance". UCLA Engineering Report #7318,
January, 1973. NTIS AD 758 388.
42 Armstrong, F.,Bachrach, A., Conda, K.,Holiman,M.and Egstrom, G.
"Comparative Human Factors Analysis of the U.S.Navy MKV and MKXII Dive
Systems". Joint Technical Report, NMRI Project M4 306.03,2040 DAC
43. Egstrom, G. and Weltman, G. "Underwater Work Performance and Work
Tolerance: Final Report". UCLA Engineering Report #7427, June, 1974.
NTIS AD 781 708/36A.
44. Egstrom, G. "Summary of Work Measurement Studies", Proceedings of
The Sixth International Conference on Underwater Education, National
Association of Underwater Instructors, October, 1974.
45. Cramer, J., Egstrom, G. and Somers, L. " Minimum AAHPER Standards
for Courses of Basic Skin and Scuba Diving", Journal of Health, Physical
Education and Recreation. Oct., 1974.
46. Cramer, J., Egstrom, G. and Somers, L. Instructor of Skin and Scuba
Diving", Professional Preparation in Aquatic Education Guideline 1974,
AAPHER Publication, 1974.
47. Egstrom, G. H. The Los Angeles County Underwater Resources
Inventory, Sea Grant Publication, September, 1974.
48. Bachrach, A. and Egstrom, G. "Human Engineering Considerations in
the Evaluation of Diving Equipment", Proceedings of the Working Diver
Fourth Biennial Symposium, March, 1974.
49. Egstrom, G. "Inflatables and Scuba Diving", Safe Journal, Summer,
50. Bachrach, A., Egstrom, G. and Blackmun, S. "Biomedical Analysis of
the US Navy MK V and MK XII Diving Systems", Human Factors, August,
51. Egstrom, G. "Diver Training", Third Joint Meeting of the Panel on
Diving Physiology and Technology, U.S. Japan Conference on Development
and Utilization of Natural Resources, July, 1975.
52. Egstrom, G. "UCLA Diving Safety Research Project Report", Aquatics
For All, National Aquatic Conference Proceedings,1976.
53. Bachrach, A. and Egstrom G. "Human Performance Underwater", Diving
Medicine, Grune and Stratton, 1976.
54. Egstrom, G.H. "Diving Equipment", Diving Medicine, Grune and
55. Egstrom, G.H. "Diving Accidents", Diving Medicine, Grune and
56. Baddely, A., Cuccaro, W., Egstrom, G., Weltman, G. and Willis, M.
"Cognitive Efficiency of Divers Working in Cold Water", UCLA
Biotechnology Lab Report, 1976.
57. Egstrom, G., Bachrach, A., Fletcher, D. and Vaughn W. "Cognitive and
Psychomotor Performance", Part 6: National Plan For The Safety and
Health of Divers in Their Quest for Subsea Energy. 1976.
58. Egstrom, G. "UCLA Diving Safety Research Program", Proceedings of
the Eighth International Conference on Underwater Education, National
Association of Underwater Instructors, November, 1976.
59. Egstrom, G. "UCLA Diving Safety Research Project", Proceedings of
the Ninth International Conference on Underwater Education, National
Association of Underwater Instructors, 1977.
60. Egstrom, G., ed.: "Thermal Problems In Diving", Thermal Problems in
Diving , Hypothermia Hyperthermia, Commercial Diving Center, June, 1977.
61. Egstrom, G. "Industry Programs for Marine Education and Manpower",
Oceans '77 Conference Record, Volume 2, Institute of Electrical and
Electronics Engineers and Marine Technology Society, 1977.
62. Egstrom, G. "Sport Diving Safety", Proceedings of the Third
International System Safety Conference, October, 1977.
63. Egstrom, G. "Halibut Fillets The Easy Way", Skin Diver Magazine,
64. Egstrom, G. "The Ocean Kayak", Skin Diver Magazine, May, 1978.
65. Egstrom, G., et. al., "Comparative Mobility in Various Dry Suits",
Technical Memorandum NCSC, TM 234 78, Naval Coastal Systems Center,
66. Egstrom, G.H. "Thermal Problems in Diving", The Working Diver 1978
Symposium Proceedings, March, 1978.
67. Egstrom, G.H. "Performance Decrements A Tool For Diver Monitoring",
68. Egstrom, G.H. "Functional Performance of Scuba Regulators",
Proceedings of the Tenth International Conference on Underwater
Education, National Association of Underwater Instructtors, November,
1978. (Published 1979).
69. Egstrom, G. "Scuba Diving Safety Considerations", Weekly Update
Hyperbaric and Undersea Medicine, Volume 1, #19, Biomedia, Inc. 1979.
70. Egstrom, G.H. "Function Performance of Scuba Regulators",
Undercurrents, Vol. 4, #4, April, 1979.
71. Egstrom, G. "Emergency Ascents", Emergency Ascent Training, UMS
Publication #32, August, 1979.
72. Egstrom, G. "Performance Implications of Breathing Resistance",
Proceedings of Ocean '79 Marine Technology Society Conference, 1979.
73. Miller, J. ed: NOAA Diving Manual, U.S. Department of Commerce,
1979. (Egstrom Contributor and Reviewer First and Second Editions,
multiple contributions Sections 3, 4, 6 and 8).
74. Bachrach, A. and Egstrom, G. "Apprehension and Panic", British Sub
Aqua Club Diving Manual. Tenth Pub., 1979.
75. Egstrom, G. and Shaafsma, F. Volleyball, Third Edition, Wm. C. Brown
Co. Pub., 1980.
76. Davis, J. ed: Advanced Course On The Medicine And Physiology Of
Sports Scuba Diving, Medical Seminars, Inc., 1981. (Egstrom 36 pages).
77. Egstrom, G. "Discussion: Metabolism and Thermal Physiology",
Underwater Physiology VII, Undersea Medical Society, 1981.
78. Egstrom, G. and DiChiro, A. "Emergency Thermal Protection for
Saturation Diving", Program Abstracts and Mini papers, Seventh Symposium
of Underwater Physiology, 1980.
79. Egstrom, G.H."Review Exploring Underwater",Undersea Biomedical
Research, Volume 8, #4, Dec.1981.
80. Egstrom, G. "Scuba Safety Considerations", Hyperbaric and Undersea
Medicine, Medical Seminars, Inc., 1981,
81. Egstrom, G. and Malemed, Y. "Psychomotor Testing Program CDC Nitrox
Dives", Proceedings of the Sixth Meeting of the United States Japan
Cooperative Program on Natural Resources, U.S. Dept. of Commerce,
Miller, J. (ed.), June, 1982.
82. Egstrom, G. "Scuba Diving Practices and Equipment", The Physiology
and Medicine of Diving, P.Bennett and D. Elliott, Bailliere and Tyndall,
London, 1982. Chap. 3.
83. Bachrach, A, Armstrong, F. and Egstrom, G. "Human Bioengineering of
Diving Equipment", Underwater 75, Vol. 2, Proceedings Fourth World
Congress on Underwater Activities, 1985.
84. McDonald, J., Egstrom, G. and Melamed, Y. "Wet Suit Chest
Restrictions on Tidal Voume in a Dry Hyperbaric Environment", Undersea
Medical Society, North Pacific Chapter, Conference Proceedings,
Vancouver, B.C., November, 1982.
85 Egstrom, G. "A Few Words On Ascent Rate", Proceedings: International
Conference on Underwater Education. National Association Of Underwater
Instructors, San Diego, Nov. 1982.
86. Egstrom, G. "Resistance as a Factor in Diving". IQ 14 Proceedings,
International Conference on Underwater Education. National Association
Of Underwater Instructors. 1983
87. Egstrom, G. "Underwater Kinesiology: The Effects of Alcohol On
Diving Performance". Proceedings of the Marine and Aquatic Sports
Medicine Conference: 1984. University of California, San Francisco, CA.
Continuing Medical Education.
88. Egstrom, G., Rowley W. and Wilson, R. Effects Of Alcohol On Diving
Performance. National Swimming Pool Foundation, Grant # W85 1125 (A),
Antonio, TX. 1986.
89. Bachrach, A.and Egstrom, G. Stress and Performance in Diving Best
Publishers, San Pedro, CA, 1987. 183 pp. 89 A. Bachrach, A. and Egstrom,
G. Stress and Performance in Diving.
Translated to Japanese by Dr. Yoshiro Mano. Inoue Shoin, Inc.
Publishers, Tokyo, Japan. Nov. 1988._
90. Egstrom, G. "Diving Equipment" a chapter in A Pictoral History of
Diving. Bachrach, A., Deseratti, B. and Madson, P. (Eds.) Undersea
Medical Society. Best Publishing Co., San Pedro, CA. 1988.
91. Egstrom, G. Contributor, "Interim Model Guidelines for Public Safety
Diving and Operation of Public Safety Diving Programs". National
Association for Search and Rescue. Heard, B. and Corry, J. (Eds.) 1987.
92. Egstrom, G.H. "Drowning", "Diving Accidents", "Water Skiing, Surfing
and Hypothermia", "Swimming Pool Emergencies and Prevention" sections in
Course Text. Medical Emergencies in the Marine Environment. Dr. J.Davis,
Course Director. Diving Medical Seminars, San Antonio, TX. 1987.
93. Egstrom, G. "Emergency Procedures: Air Sharing". Discover Diving,
May June 1987. pp 46 7 and 50.
94. Egstrom, G. "Where Are We Going In Diving Instruction?", Proceedings
of the 1987 International Conference on Underwater Education. Rancho
Santiago College, Santa Ana, CA. Reprinted in NAUI Diving Association
News. Jan. Feb., 1989.
95. Egstrom, G. "Dive Computers, Tables and Decompression", Proceedings
of the Dive Computer Workshop. USC Sea Grant Publication, Lang, M. and
Hamilton, W. (Eds.), Jan. 1989.
96. Egstrom, G. "Biomechanics of Bouyancy Compensation and Ascent Rate",
Proceedings of Biomechanics of Safe Ascents Workshop, Lang, M. and
Egstrom, G. (Ed.) American Academy of Underwater Sciences, 1989.
97. Egstrom, G., Rowley, W. A Review Of The Literature Of The Effects Of
Alcohol As They Relate To Aquatic Skills Such As Diving Headfirst Into
Shallow Water, National Swimming Pool Foundation, Grant # W88 1129,
98. Egstrom, G. "Diving Equipment", a chapter in Diving Medicine, Bove,
A. and Davis, J. (Eds.) W.B. Saunders Co., 1990.
99. Bachrach, A. and Egstrom, G. "Diving Behavior" a chapter in Diving
Medicine, Bove, A. and Davis, J. (Eds.) W.B. Saunders Co., 1990.
100. Egstrom, G., "Diving Injuries", "Diving Fitness", "Decompression
Sickness and Air Embolism" and "Aquatic Accidents and Accident
Management", Proceedings of Office Based Sports Medicine Conference,
Univ. of Cal. San Francisco, Sun Valley Idaho, Feb., 1990.
101. Egstrom, G. "A Review of Sudden Death in Diving?, Proceedings of
the American Academy of Underwater Sciences, St. Petersburg, Florida.
102. Egstrom, G., Rowley, W. and Wilson, R. Lift And Drag
Characteristics of Diving Performance, National Swimming Pool
Foundation, Grant #W85 1125 (B), March, 1990. published in 1991 as
Aquatic Diving Performance by NSPF
103. Egstrom, G., "Equipment and Diving Accidents", Diving Accident
Management, Bennett, P.B. and R.E.Moon eds., UHMS Publication
#78(divacc), Bethesda, Md., Dec. 1990.
104. Clinchy, R., Egstrom, G. and Fead, L. Jeppeson's Open Water Sport
Diving Manual 5th edition. Mosby Year Book,Inc. 1992.
105. Egstrom, G. contributor, NOAA Diving Manual, Diving for Science and
Technology, U.S. Dept. of Commerce. Oct.1991. (1992 release)
106. Egstrom, G. "Diving Fitness" and " Tables or Computers: How Best to
Control Decompression" SPUMS Journal,South Pacific Underwater Medicine
Society Inc. Vol 22, #2 April June 1992.
107. Egstrom, G. "Bouyancy Compensation and Ascent Rate" and
"Investigation of Diving Accidents" Spums Journal, South Pacific
Underwater Medicine Society Inc. Vol.22, #3 July September 1992.
108. Egstrom, G. "Causes of Diving Accidents", "Computers and Diving"
and "Diving in Polluted Waters" Syllabus, 21st Diving Accident and
Hyperbaric Medicine Course. Sharm El Sheikh Egypt. Duke University
Continuing Medical Education, Oct.1992.
109. Clinchy, R., Egstrom, G. and L. Fead. Jeppeson's Advanced Sport
Diver Manual, Mosby Year Book, Inc. Dec. 1993.
110. Egstrom, G. "SCUBA Diving Equipment and Procedures" a chapter in
The Physiology and Medicine of Diving by Bennett, P. and D. Elliot, WB
Saunders Company Ltd. London, England. 1993.
111. Bachrach, A. and G. Egstrom, "Cold and Panic Attacks" Alert Diver
112. Egstrom,G. "Out of Air at Depth?, Undercurrent, Vol.18 #5, May 1993
113. Egstrom, Glen H. Health and Fitness in Modern Times, (Translated
into Japanese). Nihon Kenko Zoushin Kenkyukai Corporation, Fukuoka,
114. Clinchy, R., and Egstrom G. Jeppesen's Advanced Sport Diver
Workbook 2nd Ed. 1993.
115. Egstrom, Glen H. "Are You Ready to Dive" Alert Diver. May/June
116. Egstrom G.H. "Emergency Procedures - An Expanding Dilemma" in
Methods and Techniques of Underwater Research , Proceedings of the
American Academy of Underwater Sciences. Smithsonian Institution,
Washington D.C. Oct. 1996.
117. Egstrom, Glen H. "Effects of Alcohol Consumption on Aquatic
Performance" E&A News. Vol.3 #2, May 1996.
118. Egstrom, Glen H. "Diving Equipment?, a chapter in Bove and
Davis?Diving Medicine , 3rd edition, edited by Alfred Bove,W.B.Saunders
Company, Philadelphia. 1997.
119. Egstrom, Glen H. and Arthur J. Bachrach , "Human Performance
Underwater?, a chapter in Bove and Davis Diving Medicine, edited by
Alfred Bove, W.B.Saunders, Philadelphia,1997.
120. Rowley,William N. and Glen H. Egstrom, Dual Main Drain Suction
Entrapment, Hair Entrapment/Entanglement Test Report, National Swimming
Pool Foundation , Alexandria,Va. June 1997.
121. Egstrom, G. "Reverse Dive Profiles: Risk vs.Benefit" in Lang, M.A.
and C.E. Lehner (eds.) 2000. Proceedings of the Reverse Dive Profile
Workshop. October 29 & 30, 1999, Smithsonion Institution, Wash. D.C.
122. Egstrom, Glen H. Contributor and Reviewer, NOAA Diving Manual,
James Joiner Ed., 4th Editon, Best Publishing Company, Flasgstaff, Az.
123. Breath-hold, SCUBA and Hose Diving. Task Force Report.
www.drowning.nl, Bove, Egstrom, Elliot, Gorman, Van Hulst, Taylor and
Wendling. International Congress on Drowning. Amsterdam NL. June 25-28,
124. Egstrom, Glen H. A book chapter 15 "Diving Equipment" in Bennett
and Elliot's Physiology and Medicine of Diving, Alf Bruback and Tom
Neuman eds. W.B.Saunders Co. Ltd. Publishers, Elssevier science Ltd. 5th
125. Egstrom,Glen H. chapter 3 & 17 in Bove, F. editor ,Bove and Davis"
Diving Medicine . 4th edition. .Saunders, 2004.
126. Egstrom, Glen H. "Historical Perspective and Aquatic Safety" and
?Drowning:Mechanics, Prevention and Management" chapters in NSPF Aquatic
Safety Compendium. Colorado Springs, Co. 2004.
127. Egstrom, Glen H. editor NSPF Aquatic Safety Compendium. National
Swimming Pool Foundation, Colorado Springs, Co. 2004.
128. Egstrom, Glen H. " Historic Perspective: Scientific Deep Diving and
the Management of Risk" In Lang, M.A. and N.E. Smith(eds) 2006
Proceedings of the Advanced Scientific Workshop. Smithsonian
Institution, Washington D.C., 277 pp. .
Portage Quarry Recreation Club, Inc.
12701 South Dixie
Bowling Green OH, 43402
©1999-2013 International Legends of Diving
All Rights Reserved